Gallbladder Stones

Ayurveda defines gallstones as “Pittashmari”, wherein “Ashmari” means stones and “Pitta” denotes the imbalanced Pitta dosha of bile in the gall bladder. This occurs from surplus Kapha dosha mixing with the Pitta features of the viscous fluid bile, turning it into a dry, hardened form.

The gallbladder is a small pear-shaped organ in the upper right side of the abdomen, just below the liver. It’s a pouch that contains digestive juice called bile which helps with digestion.  Gallstones are formed when there’s an excess accumulation of cholesterol in the bile.

Gallbladder stores and releases bile, which is synthesized in the liver and it helps with the normal digestion process. Bile also transports waste materials like cholesterol and bilirubin which the system makes when it breaks down red blood cells. These substances can also form gallstones if not properly excreted.



Gallstones lead to pain in the upper right abdomen, back and shoulder. A person may experience pain on and off when they consume foods rich in fat and deep-fried foods. Generally, pain does not last for more than a few hours. Some of the other symptoms include:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dark urine
  • Clay-colour stools
  • Abdomen pain
  • Burping
  • Diarrhoea
  • Indigestion



It was reported that almost 80 % of gallstones are made up of cholesterol, while the rest 20% comprises calcium salts and bilirubin. The exact causes of gallstones formation are not known.  However, it is believed to be caused due to excess of cholesterol in Bile, excess of Bilirubin in Bile, concentrated Bile or it can be asymptomatic too.


Treatment in Ayurveda

The ancient manuscripts of Ayurveda not only elucidate the pathology of gallstones but also offer innumerable remedies from nature to balance the doshas and resolve the instance of complications.

Ayurveda is a holistic system consisting of natural ayurvedic medicine for gallstones and sometimes panchakarma.   Ayurvedic treatment involves getting to the root cause of the gallstone rather than simply treating the symptoms.  Gallstones can be as small as a grain of sand or as big as an apricot. Gallbladder stone treatment in Ayurveda includes the utilization of highly effective stone dissolving herbal formulae along with herbs to cleanse the liver and re-establish its function


Ayurvedic treatment for Gallstones include Diet, exercises, Diabetes control, limit Stress, Ayurvedic herbs, table-salt treatment, castor oil treatment and or specific therapeutics.  The duration of the ayurvedic treatment and dosage of the ayurvedic medicines used, depends on the severity of the gallstone condition.  You will also receive a personalized diet, lifestyle, and herbal protocol that will balance your aggravated doshas.

Shodhana chikitsa (detoxification therapy) and shamana chikitsa (palliative therapy), are the treatment options available apart from regular medications.  In the former procedure a mild laxative is given.   After detoxification is completed, palliative treatment is initiated followed by Medicines. Thus, it has been observed that there is sure-shot Ayurvedic treatment for gallstones.  Tatkshana Ayurveda Hospital is the best Ayurveda hospital in Bangalore that has been addressing various health conditions with good results.